Wednesday, July 19, 2006

First Update from The Bat

The first email from The Bat in SK has arrived. Everything is going very well. The other teachers are all friendly, and the language school is as expected ie fairly disorganised. She has tried kimchi and does not like it all; I'll leave out the expletives with which it was described. I'm looking forward to hearing about the students when she starts teaching. Some of the stories from Japan were hilarious.

On a different note I thought up a little ditty this morning about the Northern Line. Much maligned as the Misery Line, I use it every weekday morning and evening. To be honest I have not suffered that many serious delays in the past 18 months, so I cannot complain, but here goes anyway:

"Morden has broken"

Morden had broken,
Like the first morning
Sonja has spoken ,
Like the first announcer
Praise for the tube lines,
Praise for the tube trains,
Praise for them running,
Fresh from the depot.

Sweet the leaves new fall, sunlit from heaven,
Like the first leaf-fall, on the first tube tracks
Praise for the sweetness of the tube drivers,
Sprung in full comfort in their train cabs

Mine is the Northern Line,
Mine is the morning
Born of Victorians, Yerkes saw play
Praise with elation, Praise every morning
Ken's recreation of a new age.

with thanks to Cat Stevens

It came to me while entering the Annie Moles latest Quiz It may not be in the same league as Dr Suman Biswas and Dr Adam Kay's famous Underground spoof song to the tune of The Jams going underground, but it is my first attempt. (They are on the Fringe this year I gather)

No comments: